Sightsavers is committed to ensuring that our staff with disabilities have appropriate workplace accommodations and support that meet their personal requirements. We are looking for a Visual Guide to work with one of our staff who has a visual impairment.
Contract: Fixed term until July 2022
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
The Visual Guide will provide visual (both digital and non-digital) assistance and support to one of our Programme Advisors, based in Ghana in the course of their daily work, including travel outside of the home. This may include
- accompanying the employee to scheduled meetings within the city of Accra or beyond
- providing practical support during occasional wider-reaching travel including international trips (ranging from one day to up to a week)
- completing paperwork while the Programme Advisor is visiting partners or stakeholders in the Ghana Somubi Dwumadie programme
- keeping the Programme Advisor updated so he is aware of his immediate environment and prompted on changes
- providing personal emergency evacuation assistance from the Ghana Country Office in emergency situations
- supporting travel planning in addition to reviewing, analysing and providing information on personal travel risks
- providing specialist accessibility including digital assistance
This is a busy and varied role, supporting the Programme Advisor and his vital contribution to the Ghana Somubi Dwumadie programme. The above is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or experience requirements. For full details please read the job description.
We anticipate that the successful applicant will have:
- a minimum of a secondary school leaving certificate
- at least one year’s demonstrable experience as an assistant or aide to someone with a disability, preferably to someone who is blind
- the ability to travel to any part of Accra and abroad within 48 hours’ notice
- experience or interest in working with marginalized groups such as persons with disabilities
- strong writing skills as well as excellent English oral communication skills
To succeed in the role, the successful applicant will also have:
- excellent writing skills and effective note taking ability
- the ability to take initiative and work independently, with little supervision
- basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Word (including using tracked changes), Excel spreadsheets, Outlook email and PowerPoint
- the ability to navigate websites and translate content into Word documents, as well as download PDF content and translate into Word documents
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place in mid-December.
To apply for this position, you will need to complete an online application. Please click on the ‘Apply Here’ button and follow the instructions.
As an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Qualified persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.