Senior Global Advocacy Adviser (East, Central and Southern Africa)
Location: This role will ideally be based in Kenya but qualified individuals with the Right to Work in other Sightsavers programmatic countries within the East, Central and Southern Africa regions are welcome to apply
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply
Contract: Two year fixed term contract
Responsible for: Advocacy Officer (East, Central and Southern Africa)
Purpose of role
Sightsavers are recruiting for an experienced and strategically minded advocacy specialist to join our global advocacy team, to will lead on the delivery of Sightsavers’ global advocacy function across the East, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA) region.
As Senior Global Advocacy Adviser you will strengthen the links between global and national level advocacy as well as support the development and delivery of advocacy objectives across Sightsavers’ key thematic areas, including eye health, disability and inclusive education across ECSA.
You will act as lead technical advocacy support for Sightsavers Country Offices in the ECSA region, responsible for coordinating Sightsavers’ advocacy on health across country offices and support the development and delivery of advocacy objectives into relevant programming across Sightsavers thematic areas.
This role would suit an experience advocacy specialist with a background in international development and programme development at an international level.
Knowledge, skills and experience for Senior Global Advocacy Adviser
- Significant experience of working as an advocacy professional within INGOs and supporting national advocacy within a global advocacy strategy
- Significant experience of representing NGOs at a high level on strategic issues, including building relationships with and influencing senior officials within national governments, donor agencies and regional bodies
- Specific experience of health sector advocacy at national, regional and international levels
- Expertise in building staff capacities to develop and deliver effective advocacy strategies
- Experience of developing and implementing systems to record and measure the impact of advocacy activities
- Expertise in carrying out national level policy analysis and stakeholder mapping to develop effective advocacy strategies
- Knowledge of current issues and best practice in development particularly in health, education, rights or governance.
- Ability to represent the organisation to external bodies at a high level
- Demonstrable experience of influencing organisational strategy and promote change internally
- Ability to develop and implement effective advocacy plans and M&E systems
- Strong communication and relationship building skills with internal and external audiences
- Ability to work effectively as part of an international team
- Relevant academic qualifications in a social science, public health, international development or other related subject
The Senior Global Advocacy Adviser is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills. Please see the Job Description for full details.
Closing date: 26 September 2021
Interviews are expected to take place early to mid-October and are likely to consist of a two-stage interview and a written task, all conducted remotely.
As an equal opportunities employer we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply