Global Technical Lead – Inclusive Teaching and Learning
Sightsavers are looking for a Global Technical Lead, Inclusive Teaching and Learning with disability expertise to promote inclusive teaching and learning for children, youth, and adults with disabilities in education systems in West Africa, East, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA), and South Asia.
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply.
Location – Flexible
About the role
Due to our expanding portfolio of donor-funded, pan-disability inclusive education projects, Sightsavers has created the new position of Global Technical Lead, Inclusive Teaching and Learning. Working in association with the other GTLs and our global, regional and national teams, the successful candidate will play a leading role in our work.
Principle accountabilities include:
- strengthening systems for delivering pre-service training, in-service training, and continuous professional development.
- contributing to Sightsavers’ work in education in at least one of the following areas: working in challenging environments, made more challenging by the Covid-19 crisis, climate change, and other factors; child safeguarding; assistive technology; and supporting children with complex support needs.
- contributing to other areas of Sightsavers’ work in education particularly in the field of inclusive teaching and learning
- developing the capacity of Sightsavers and partners to work effectively in education
- providing on-going technical support and oversight for Sightsavers’ education projects, particularly through long-distance communication and through carrying out project visits.
- working closely and collaboratively with Sightsavers’ global and country teams to ensure effective project delivery.
- working with Sightsavers teams to ensure projects generate high quality evidence and feeding this knowledge into project design and implementation.
- keeping abreast of new scholarship in the field of inclusive teaching and learning and ensure this knowledge is disseminated throughout the organisation.
- representing Sightsavers externally, both in the UK and internationally, at workshops, conferences and other fora, and to contribute to global learning in the field of disability, education, and international development.
We are looking for an outstanding individual, capable of delivering a leading role in Sightsavers’ work in the field of inclusive teaching and learning. You should have:
- a Master’s level degree (or above) in education studies or a field relevant to this position (e.g. child psychology, early childhood development)
- first-hand experience teaching children with disabilities
- specific expertise in education system-strengthening
- knowledge of current issues and best practice in disability and education
- experience of living and working in low and lower-middle income countries (highly desirable)
- an understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for people with disabilities
This is a very complex role and further details may be found within the job description. We are also interested in seeing applications from candidates at ‘Advisor’ level with disability expertise who are keen and adaptable, with the potential to grow.
Closing date: 14 March 2021
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place in late March 2021 and the evaluation process will include a written assessment.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.