Finance Officer – Ascend
Sightsavers is recruiting for a Finance Officer to work on the Ascend programme who will deliver on all financial requirements for the DFID funded Ascend programme (working in thirteen countries with a total budget of £91.2m). They will also provide support to the Head of NTD Finance and Operations Team as necessary.
In particular, the Ascend Finance Officer will help prepare budget and reporting templates in line with DFID requirements, oversee project financial planning, monitoring and reporting as well as support on implementation of the online reporting portal for financial submissions from partners (MyCLAIMS system). The role will also provide support to the Head of Finance & VfM (Ascend) in managing all aspects of project cash flow, produce internal and external analysis and reports to influence project decision making, oversee project control frameworks and help support partners to undertake their work effectively.
Salary: c£30,000 dependent upon experience
Contract: Two Year Fixed Term Contract
About the role:
Key duties will include:
- Review and check budgets and other financial submissions prepared by partners and Sightsavers country office staff
- Analysis across data sets using MyCLAIMS and Excel to identify cost drivers and assess financial performance across countries against agreed indicators.
- Participate in ongoing financial monitoring of projects (including donor financial reporting, audits and overseas travel to provide support and training as needed).
- Ensure that contract income and expenditure is correctly reflected in the accounting system and that Sightsavers internal financial process requirements are complied with
- Assist with the development, management and continual improvement of financial, programme management and reporting systems
- Responsible for the operational financial management of the Policy Strategic Innovation Fund (PSIF), a subset of the Ascend programme worth £4.3m
- Support with other day to day finance and administration tasks on the programme.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills and it’s an involved role so please read the complete Job Description for further details.
The ideal candidate will have:
- finance and accountancy experience
- awareness of overseas development (preferably gained through work in the INGO sector)
- excellent numerical skills
- strong attention to detail
- an improvement mindset and a willingness to develop skills and knowledge
- an understanding of institutional donor contract management, in particular DFID funding
This role may be for you if:
- You are proactive by nature and have initiative.
- You are comfortable taking decisions and have a good sense of when to escalate issues.
- You are quick to notice irregularities, yet you do not lose sight of the bigger picture.
- You enjoy solving problems and have a keen eye for improvement.
- You communicate clearly. You adapt your language and pace to suit your listeners.
- You are confident holding close working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- You are comfortable working in an international context and travelling to the countries we work in.
Sightsavers offers a great place to work within easy reach of London and Brighton.
We anticipate that interviews, including a short Excel-based task will take place at our Haywards Heath, West Sussex offices in mid-February. Please note that this role has been extended.