Compliance and Legal Manager
Sightsavers is looking for a Compliance and Legal Manager role to work within our expanding Governance team.
Salary: £38,000 – £45,000 pro rata
Location: UK remote (home based) with very occasional travel to London or Haywards Heath, when possible
Contract: Six Month Fixed Term Contract
Hours: This is a very flexible role with the possibility of working part-time
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Compliance and Legal Manager to cover a sabbatical within our Governance team. As a result, this is a fixed term contract which will start in March 2022 and end in September 2022. In this role you will work closely with the Director of Governance, Legal & Assurance and the Controller of Governance and Assurance to provide a multi-disciplinary range of services to the organisation in the core areas of Contract Management, Legal Support and Data.
Key duties will include:
- Maintaining Sightsavers’ compliance programme for the UK, EU and other national data protection legislation.
- Working with the Director of Governance, Legal & Assurance to provide the organisation with technical legal support, including the management of external legal counsel and representation.
- Providing management and support to the organisation on contract reviews and management and assisting those functions with risk management.
- Providing guidance and support on all areas of compliance with statutory, regulatory, donor and sector/ membership requirements.
This is varied and demanding role with accountabilities across legal, data protection and privacy and compliance and governance. Please read the job description for further details. We can offer a lot of flexibility and this role could be worked full time, part-time, as a ‘split shift’ and will be predominantly home-based.
This is an ideal opportunity to build on your extensive experience gained within a legal, governance or finance environment. You will however need to be based in the UK and have ongoing Right to Work in the UK and be able to commit to the core working hours of 10:00am to 2:00pm to participate in key meetings.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Strong numeracy, ideally in financial or accounting areas
- An analytical approach with excellent attention to detail
- Effective time management skills
- Experience within a relevant organisation function (legal, governance, finance etc.) or department (compliance)
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, one or more regulatory frameworks (EU GDPR,
- A degree or a professional qualification or accreditation in an area related to governance, legal or risk
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to inspire the confidence of internal stakeholders
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, prioritise work to meet client and sponsor deadlines by working well with other team members.
- Ability to troubleshoot, multitask, manage deadlines, work independently and take initiative.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes generous annual leave allowance, pension, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme, discounted gym memberships and wellness discounts. If you choose to work in our modern and collaborative offices in Haywards Heath, you will find them an easy 20-minute train journey from Brighton or 45 minutes from London.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in learning of your motivations for applying. Please note that there will be an expectation that you can very occasionally visit London and/ or our offices in Haywards Heath, West Sussex (RH16 3BW)
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place in early February with a view to the successful candidate starting in early March.